Friday, October 10, 2008

Obama Rally in Columbus

So, Thursday, I get this text message from the Obama Campaign, stating that Barack is going to be in town today for a rally. I have not seen him in person, so I decide to take the time to go down and see him, in person. This is a big election year, so being able to take part in someting like this is history in the making, so naturally, I would want to be a part of it.

The gates opened at Genoa Park, in downtown Columbus, at eleven in the morning. I decide to get there early, so that I could get a decent spot to be able to see him. Well, upon parking 6 blocks away, I start walking. As I get closer, there is table after table of people trying to sell crap. Thankfully, I don't buy crap, so I just walk past them.



As I get closer, I notice I am not the only one who is early. There are already long lines to get in. So, I stand in one of the lines, waiting for them to open at 11. While I am standing there, a volunteer for the campaign brings a form for me to fill out, and asks me what I am doing on election day. I tell her that I am already planning on taking the day off to take people to the polls. She hands me a different ticket, and tells me to go to another line.

I get to the line, and start talking to this nice lady, who overheard about the blue tickets. We start talking, and upon a few minutes of dialogue, we find out we are both Arkansans! How odd is that! Out of the 15000 people who went, I find a fellow Arkansan to chat with.

We get to the place where the volunteers are supposed to go and stand there and talk about Arkansas and the places we enjoyed eating and visiting. She is a very nice lady. She and I stood there for about 3 hours visiting, which is good because it made the time fly!

Well, after a while, the speeches started and I got to see Mayor Coleman, Govenor Stickland, and Barack Obama. It was a very spirited event and it made me feel good about my choice. I am not gonna launch into why in this post, but those who know me, understand!

I hope you enjoy the pics!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you made it in. And you were waaaaay closer than Summer.