Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Hardest Part of My Job...


I am in HIV Prevention. I am going to come into contact with people who have HIV. I am going to come into contact with people who do not. I am going to come into contact with those who believe that they cannot get it as well as those who believe it is inevitable for infection to occur. I can handle all of that. I do both testing and counseling and for the most part, I can handle that too...

The hardest part of my job is telling someone who is just starting their life, that they are infected with HIV. I had a twenty year old guy come in today and I had to give him the unfortunate news that he was infected. I don't know why the younger guys give me the most grief, but I have given results to older guys and it doesn't affect me as much.

I know HIV is not the "death" sentence that it once was, but it still ensures the people who are infected hardships that we cannot imagine, as people who are not infected. People's lives change in almost every aspect due to that one thing I have to tell them during the testing period. It is such a humbling experience. It puts reality into perspective when compared.

I don't feel sorry for people infected with HIV, but at the same time, I do. It is a double edge sword that I have to deal with. Bad decisions lead to mistakes and that, unfortunately, is what it is... a mistake. Due to that mistake, people who are infected are treated so badly...

I love my job and the work that I do, but having to do that is the hardest part of my job.

1 comment:

Casey Willits said...

Thank you for writing this..it reminds me to be careful, be safe, and to keep on reminding my friends that this epidemic isn't over.

You amaze me! Keep it up!